Sunday, September 14, 2008

First Cuppings

This blog is also hopefully going to be a public journal for my coffee cuppings.  Often it's difficult to keep tabs from just a mental standpoint.  My brain is not that talented, anyway.

The first two on trial today are

Mirundi - a Kenyan AA

And,

Tanah Tingi (I think that's how you spell it) a Sumatra similar to manhdeling

First up is the Kenya.  Lots of people say they get a dark Berry vibe with a strong Raspberry flavor, but alas even at two roast points I didn't get any of that flavor.  I felt a strong spiciness, cinnamon-like, and though I had a chocolatey taste, any fruit notes were subtle and felt more like spices on the palate.  It was super bright, too.  High acidity, I almost had to smack my lips after drinking a cup.  It got better as it cooled off, way more complex.  Good coffee, not my ideal Kenya, but someone out there loves the spiciness, I'm sure.

And the Sumatra...
This was a really nice experience.  The beans smelled of a curry spice and peanut butter.  The nuttyness carried over to the cup in a subtle way, and the spices took a back seat to the woodsy flavors.  Some people see this as a defect, but it's something I've grown quite fond of, especially in sumatras.  Overall very earthy, a balanced acidity, nutty, sweet, not too peppery or weird, and it's a coffee you don't have to think too much about.  A very nice cup.  This one may show up soon at my coffee shop.  (where I may be teaching some cupping classes soon!)

Cheers
 

No comments: