Sunday, September 28, 2008

More cuppings!

Last night I enjoyed a cup and half of some Guatemala Antigua.  This is a "pastoral" varietal, I believe.

And today I enjoyed some Costa Rica from the La Pastorale farm.  (a Tarrazu region farm)

Both were excellent!  I was surprised.  I don't generally fall in love with central American coffees.  Though, come to think of it, that has happened this year with an El Salvador Bourbon, and a Brazil or two.  (more on that later)

The Guatemala was nice and smooth.  A very dull acidity that was nice, and a really smooth finish.  This would go excellently in an espresso blend.  I enjoyed it along with a few friends and we paired with it some dark chocolate that brought out some gorgeous flavors.  Very nice, and very bitter-sweet.

The Costa Rica I didn't fancy quite as much, but perhaps that's because I didn't have the time to sit down and truly enjoy it for what it is.  The Pastorale was quite a bit brighter and more citrusy.  (Something I don't fancy unless it's roasted well.)  But when the coffee cooled off a little it gave way to some smoother flavors and lovely floral, but not bright, things.

Both great coffees we're now selling at the shop.  Stop in for a french press or two, and talk to someone.

No comments: